Miniature Siberian Husky, todays featured articles

The Miniature Siberian Husky is often mistaken for the Alaskan Klee Kai, with whom it shares similar qualities. However, the Alaskan Klee Kai was bred from the Alaskan Husky, Schipperke, and American Eskimo. The Miniature Siberian Husky is still extremely rare, but its popularity and the population is steadily rising as people discover these beautiful little sled dogs. Miniature Siberian Huskies are smaller versions of Siberian Huskies, the popular sled dogs. They share the same basic genetics and temperament.

Many folks make the mistaken assumption that Miniature Siberian Huskies are a separate breed from the standard sized Siberian Huskies, but they are not.

History

Smaller husky-type dogs are not a new phenomenon. In fact the smaller variety has been around in all likelihood at least as long as the huskies themselves if not longer. It seems that very small husky-type dogs lived alongside the larger sled dogs in many tribal Siberian communities. These dogs, technically classified as the "Tungus Spitz" by early explorers, were often described as being "the size of a fox". These dogs were commonly used as hunting dogs.

The modern Miniature Siberian Husky was first bred in the mountains of Hendersonville, North Carolina. The dogs were developed by Bree Hefner May along with the help with a few devoted Siberian husky fans in order to offer an alternative to potential husky owners, as the standard-sized dogs were often too much for novice owners to handle. Development of dogs continues under the supervision of Bree Hefner May.

Appearance

Currently, Miniature Siberian Huskies can reach a maximum weight of 18–25 pounds (7–8 kilograms) and reach a height of 12–14 inches (30–35 centimeters) at the withers. Their coat lengths and colors, and eye colors, offer the same range of variety seen in standard sized Siberian Huskies.

Temperament

Miniature Siberian Huskies exhibit temperaments and behaviors that are extremely similar to that of their larger counterparts. However, their smaller size can make them easier for a novice owner to handle.

Like their larger counterparts, Miniature Huskies are noted howlers. If this behavior becomes problematic or an irritation, owners can minimize it by making sure that the dog receives adequate attention from humans or other dogs. Huskies are pack animals and highly social; they can suffer from boredom and loneliness if left continually to their own devices.

They are quite friendly with everyone and at times can be stubborn. The dogs should never be trusted off leash, and do have a propensity for digging, just like standard sized siberian huskies.

12 comments:

  1. WoW! I never knew there was such a thing. From the time I was 6 years old I always wanted a Husky but have never been able to own one due to their size and I have now found the solution to this. How much do these dogs generally run and where can they be found? Please reply to me at jqualls85@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i would like to know where can i find a minature siberian husky, i would love to have one, what do they look like when they are full grown, if you could give me an web adress or send me some photos that would be awesome my email is nothing_special18@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I really love this breed where can I find one selling here in the Phil? I would really love to own one..thx po just email me @ jenos_plaboy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, do u have any idea where i can buy one??? please email me at enriquegomez52@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last time I'd seen this dog was in Canada, so i made an article about this type of dog. But this dog is not yet recognized in his own category rather it is still in standard Siberian Husky category. Try to check American Kennel Club and look if there are available breed in their records and where to buy this type of dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wish I could trust this woman. But, when my girlfriend put $100 USD down for a puppy, and two breeding cycles go by and this woman refuses to provide us with a puppy, I begin to think it's a scam. The worst? She kept our deposit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would really like to purchase one of these dogs and was wondering if you would be able to tell me of any breeders that are selling them. I would greatly appreciate it if you would be able to help me find a breeder that is selling a puppy of this breed. Thank you so much.. You can reach me at jnchan@mail.usf.edu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would really love a Minature siberian husky they are so cute!I used to have an Alaskan Malamute they look just like him but way smaller.i have a Japanese Spitz and i'm sure if i got a Minature Siberian Husky they would be the best of freinds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sent $50 U.S.D to a web site for as a deposit for a mini husky and the people ended up selling the puppy I put the deposit on without trying to get ahold of me or anything.If someone sent me $50 before I had sent them anything I would have at least gave them the courtesy of calling them before I sold the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since there is no snow in the Philippines and the climate is humid, I know a lot of people wanted tips on how to raise a husky. Great to have found this post and I will share it to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to have a minature husky.. anyone who has this breed,pls txt me at 0917-8431878. thank u

    ReplyDelete
  12. likewise, i want to buy one if available in the Philippines

    ReplyDelete

Hello you can post a comment on this site to make this more useful to us... thank you..